Friday, November 18, 2022

Rested up and ready to face the holidays!

Those who read my last blog post about Business/Busy-ness will know that I took a 7-day vacation to Arizona last week. To be able to commune with nature, hike, see new sights, visit the Musical Instrument Museum and become inspired by all of it has been restorative and healing in many ways.

The season we are already moving into can be stressful to those who face travel to visit family, overbooked social commitments, and lots of gigs to try to stay healthy for, so my wish for each of you is to take time for yourself – feed your soul, get some sleep, rest up!!!  I’d love to share some highlights from my trip, so here we go!

Our first two nights were spent in Prescott, Arizona – a lovely little town that we may try to return to again since our first full day was pretty much rained out. Once the rain stopped, the wind continued to whip around with very low temperatures we were not acclimated to, being from sunny California… But on our second day, on our way to Sedona, we made a stop at one of the many little lakes in the area, Lynx Lake, and did a 3.5 mile walk completely around the lake.


We took off going clockwise, and then after we crossed the stream and soaked our shoes, wondering why there wasn’t a better place to cross, we came across a sign:

 

Oh, okay, it would have been helpful to see that before we set out in the direction we went! But, there were other hikers and dog walkers on the other side of the lake, so we weren’t completely alone or in danger (much).

Our next 2 nights were in Sedona, and having arrived in the late afternoon, we rested up for a longish hike the next day to Soldiers Pass. This was a 4.7 mile loop, and was fairly strenuous with lots of rock scrambling, and amazing vistas. A few highlights were a natural sinkhole called Devil’s Kitchen, the Seven Sacred Pools, and the Soldiers Cave.

      Soldiers Pass

 

Devil’s Kitchen Sinkhole

 Seven Sacred Pools

 Soldiers Pass Cave

While on the hike, we stood around with a group of hikers watching a helicopter rescue, which reminded us all to be very careful. These rocks are known to be vortexes and magical in some way, but it doesn’t mean you can’t fall 40 feet and be skewered by a tree limb…

 

The day we left Sedona, we decided to do one more hike:  the short 1.5 mile loop around Bell Rock – it’s fairly flat, so we added a lot of steps (according to my Fitbit) with just a little effort. There are also several trails up to the top, but we were done climbing...

 

Finally, we spent the last two nights in Scottsdale (a suburb of Phoenix), and our big outing was visiting the Musical Instrument Museum. I took hmm... probably a hundred photos mostly of stringed instruments from all around the world, and my biggest disappointment was not being able to reach out and try playing a tune on each and every one! I’d never seen a Peruvian harp up close, or a number of unusual bowed and plucked string instruments from around the world! But I also found many that I have in my small collection, and am actively playing. Here are some of the interesting harps:

Pervian harp

Frame harp from Tunguragau

Irish harp with 7 levers on the pillar 

Here are some of the stringed instruments I play or have played. The Swedish lute with bass strings was the predecessor of the harp guitar:                

Nyckelharpa and lute with bass strings

Harp guitar

Chapman stick

Each Chapman stick was numbered, and although you can’t see the numbers in the photo, when I was in Stickband decades ago, I played a borrowed stick numbered 284. I also sang some of my original songs, played my electric violin, Yamaha Electric Grand piano, and Moog Liberation synthesizer (that’s what I’m playing in this photo). I still have the violin, the tee shirt, and the hat!

Jim Bruno & me at a Stickband concert in 1978 or 9

We also did the guided tour of the special exhibit, and I was delighted when the docent explained that the Turkish Oud was originally developed by Armenian luthiers, but eventually became known as Turkish. As an Armenian, I was grateful that he gave credit where credit was due. I think this is a little-known fact… This photo shows the Armenia exhibit. Each country had a map, a video screen you could hear music through their provided headphones and receiver as you approached the exhibit. I felt I could have spent far more time here and highly recommend a visit if you’re ever in Phoenix!

There were two concerts at the museum that we were able to attend – a wonderful classical guitarist, and an oud player who played accompanied by a keyboardist with a drum machine. So inspiring! Those who have taken my Middle Eastern workshop might enjoy watching this short video. By the way, the rhythm is the Maqsum rhythm:

Maqsum   1          &   (2)  &    3           4

                 Doum  tek       tek  doum   tek 

 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c209uVn7d8BBXkURk3H64M5nY5J-KCxa/view?usp=share_link

So, now, back to teaching private students, a workshop tomorrow, several performances in Assisted Living facilities, concerts with Gaelic Muses, concerts with Harpers Hall, Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings with family and friends, and yes, thanks to a lovely vacation, I think I’ll get through it all with a smile!

Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones! 








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Verlene!

    Looks like you had a great trip. I will try yo go to the Musical Instruments Museum some day.

    Diane Renee Macdonell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Diane, it was a wonderful experience! Definitely try to get to the museum some day!

      Delete

Musical Musings -- Out with the Old, In with the New

I think of myself as pretty up to date – I have designed not only my own website, but also a few others (including the new Celtic Moon websi...