Thursday, June 15, 2023

Happy Father’s Day!

As Father’s Day approaches, I’ve been reflecting a lot about my Dad who passed away at 91 years old in 2019. Growing up in a musical family, with Mom as a piano teacher, and all four of us kids learning not only piano, but also at least one band or orchestra instrument, there was always a lot of practicing going on. We had to schedule our half hour of piano, plus half hour – hour of other instruments around school, and Mom’s piano students.

At recitals, you can imagine the pressure the “teacher’s children” felt to do our best. This is all leading up to my Dad’s role in our music, and his profound influence on me…

People would ask Dad what he plays, and he would say either “I pay for it all,” or “Someone has to be in the audience.” Always said with a twinkle in his eye. He took pride in hiding the microphone and hiding out in the kitchen to record the recitals. By the time Mom’s students had been in one or two recitals, it was clear that the recitals would be recorded, but it was fun to try to figure out where the mike was hidden…

Both my parents were involved in helping me develop my songwriting skills – Mom would make a comment about the melody, and Dad would talk about content with very specific questions like, “Who are you speaking to in the second verse?”

When my parents had company over, Dad would call me into the living room and ask me to play specific songs that I had written. You can imagine how special that made me feel!

Fast forward to the last 2 or 3 years he was with us, and he’d always introduce my sister and me as “This is my daughter who plays flute, and this is my daughter who plays harp.” Even though he had Alzheimer’s he knew which one of us played which instrument. Music seems to break through the confusion…

I wrote a handful of songs about my Dad in his final years, and recorded them on my Life Stages CD which is available as a CD or mp3s on my website (Life Stages CD (verlene.com), or listen to them on Spotify:

The Tide is about the changing roles as parents age: https://open.spotify.com/track/6eAG2pf8nrL59LChZ4gGUN?si=afb1c9dd8295441e

As Much as Before was written when Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s: https://open.spotify.com/track/2r19PkMrIDwoAgPrUWXEmE?si=40202659d4e2478f

I Wanna Walk With You: https://open.spotify.com/track/1NWVEXlzpfXfidyDV5DVPo?si=b8b2e96aed304871

This last one, I will be performing at the Gaelic Muses Father’s Day performance at the Wheelhouse of Willow Glen. If you’re in or near the San Jose, CA area, it would be lovely to see you! Arrive early to get a seat and to hear the Father's Day special numbers. Here’s the info: Gaelic Muses in Willow Glen on Father’s Day – Gaelic Muses

Wishing you all a Happy Father’s Day, whether you are able to celebrate with him in person, or only in memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Musical Musings -- Out with the Old, In with the New

I think of myself as pretty up to date – I have designed not only my own website, but also a few others (including the new Celtic Moon websi...